What we are looking for?
We are seeking to appoint a well-organised caretakers who are committed to the ongoing security and maintenance of the best possible learning environment for students and staff.
The ideal candidates will have previous relevant experience and be able to work a standard shift pattern but remain flexible where on occasion, shifts may change at short notice to meet business needs.
Enhanced DBS (with list checks) is required for this post.
Role Description Caretaker
General duties and responsibilities Working as part of a team to support the best possible teaching and learning experience. The Caretaker plays an integral part in the security, repairs and maintenance of the school/campus and its environment.
Reports to School Office Manager – Day to day management and direction will be from the school office manager or Headteacher in her absence.
- Lock/unlock school buildings and areas
- Operate and respond to alarm systems where appropriate, outside of any specialist monitoring brief
- Monitor CCTV or surveillance equipment where appropriate
- Undertake regular security checks and identify security risks
- Monitor fire safety equipment and carry out fire system tests
- Liaise security, surveillance contractors and police as required
- Provide emergency access to the school site including out of hours
- Provide support for after school events and lettings outside of the school day
- To organise and carry out various maintenance duties
- Identify and undertake appropriate repairs and improvement work e.g., redecorating and fixing, minor plumbing, unblocking drains, erecting shelves, notice boards etc.
- Operation and maintenance of heating, plant and lighting systems
- Monitor the electrical testing of portable electrical appliances and to maintain the appropriate records
- Undertake regular site inspections and identify and record repair and maintenance requirements
- Undertake cleaning duties such as graffiti, litter picking and emergency & specialist cleaning tasks etc.
- Ensure that satisfactory levels of caretaking, cleanliness and hygiene are achieved and maintained through the whole of the premises e.g., free of litter, weeds , surfaces are gritted/ salted when required
- To contribute to the operation of a preventative planned maintenance programme and for the routine inspections of the buildings, fixtures, fittings, furniture, premises and grounds to assess for minor work or repairs required to be carried out to maintain safe and satisfactory conditions
- To advise the school office manager on matters relating to energy control and conservation
- To assist in safety audits of the premises and contribute to relevant risk assessment activity
- Be responsible for maintaining records, information and data, producing analysis and reports as required
- Promote and ensure the health and safety of pupils, staff & visitors (in accordance with appropriate health and safety legislation and Trust policies, at all times
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health and safety and security and confidentiality, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person
- Prioritising and reporting of jobs/issues/works required
- Liaising and supervision with outside agencies and contractors to ensure all works are completed to a high standard and signed off, reporting any issues to performance managers
- Liaise with external contractors and report to office manager & attend meetings as required
- Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required
- Present a positive personal image, contributing to a welcoming school environment which supports equal opportunities
Desirable Qualifications, Experience & Skills
- Caretaking/site-keeping experience in a (primary) school or similar environment
- Trade experience
- Knowledge of COSHH regulations
- Team-leading skills
Job Types Full-time, temporary
Schedule Monday to Friday (36 hours per week)
Experience 1 year (Preferred)